Echo Bay United Church

echobay united.com

P.O. Box 447 Echo Bay, On P0S 1C0 (705) 248-2801

United Church of Canada | London Conference

A BRIEF HISTORY OF BAR RIVER UNITED CHURCH

FIRST RELIGIOUS SERVICES

Oneof the first settlers to what was later to be known as Bar River was Mr John Evoy. Mr Evoy conducted services in his home long before there was a church. Many of the early settlers also attended church at either Zion Methodist Church ( Echo Bay) or Bethel Methodist Church ( Sylvan Valley). These were both log churches.

In the years 1890-1891 a Sunday School was started at the Bluff school and John Evoy was the superintendent. This school was located in the vicinity of the corner of Reilly and Government Roads.

METHODIST CHURCH ORGANIZED

In 1897 Dr John Coburn held Methodist services in the Orange Hall (located across from the Presbyterian Church). Worship services were held there for a few years, but the Methodist cause apparently fell through temporarily in about 1903.

In 1907 the Methodist Church reorganized in the home of Mr Bill Evoy (John Evoy’s son). It was called Evoy’s appointment.

In 1909 a Methodist Church was built on John Evoy’s homestead.

LOCAL UNION

Talk of Church union had been going on prior to the first World War.

In 1917 a few of the Presbyterians united with the Methodists to

form a local union church.The union congregation worshipped in the Methodist church, and was served by Methodist ministers.

In 1919, according to the Circuit Register, this local union church had 27 members (23 of them Methodists, 4 of them Presbyterians).

When Church union took place across Canada in June 1925, Bar River Methodist officially became a part of the new United Church of Canada.

NEW CHURCH BUIILT

The former church built in 1909 burnt in 1935, only the pews were saved from the fire. A new building was erected in 1935, on land obtained from the Canadian Pacific Railway.

In 1965 an addition was built on the back to accomodate the Sunday School. The inside of the sanctuary was also remodelled at this time.

In the Fall of 1985 a new front entrance was added.

Since that time various changes have been made to make this an attractive and comfortable place of worship

| Privacy Policy | Contact Us |